Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Question and Answer

Q: Mike, where are you now?
A: I just got back to Dallas this afternoon on a 3:45 flight.

Q: How's your brother in Florida doing?
A: He's feeling better, but he's not out of the woods yet. His surgery on Monday was successful in relieving pressure on his lungs and allowing him to breathe easier. He is still on dialysis, will have limited lung capacity and we are waiting on lab results from biopsies performed during surgery. We'll know more from the doctors after the lab results come in.

Q: What's the first thing you did today when you got back to Dallas?
A: I got my car and went to see my beloved Patti whom I was desperately missing!!

Q: Were you guys glad to see each other?
A: Oh yeah! It was great to see her and she was happy to see me! She even raised up Charlotte to give me a hug! That's a first!

Q: Anything else different since you left?
A: Well, really, a lot. One thing I noticed is her legs are stronger when she stands up to transfer from one place to another or when she sits down. It's a lot easier for her than it was when I left. Also, tonight she had her contact lenses on. She was enjoying not having to wear her glasses. Also, her face is much less tired looking, especially around the eyes. She just looked serene and peaceful and happy!!

Q: That's great! Anything else?
A: Well, she did her own grocery shopping this week without me along. She checked herself out of her apartment and got on the "bus" with other residents and did the Wal-Mart thing on Tuesday afternoon. I'm really proud of her for doing it and not getting discouraged because I wasn't there! Also, she's really doing a lot of walking with the walking stick in rehab. They are even to the point of bumping into her as she walks to help her re-develop her reflexes and balance. I'm hoping this means she'll be out of her wheelchair in a few weeks!

Q: That would be wonderful! Is she doing anything else new in therapy?
A: Since I haven't been here for the last several days, I haven't seen everything she's doing, but she did start doing "floor exercises" today which, as best I can tell, consist of stretching, exercising and other activities to assist in general recovery. Oh, and also, sometime in the next week or two she will receive her electronic "splint" for Charlotte! She told me that it is really high-tech and will do a lot to speed her motor skills recovery. I'll have to get and pass along a more detailed description of it.

Q: Yeah, that would be great! So how are you doing?
A: I'm tired but happy to be back with Patti. We went out for dinner tonight and had a great visit. I filed her fingernails for her when we got back to the apartment. I'm actually getting pretty good at it. Then we read some Bible verses together, prayed together and then said goodnight. I'm looking forward to getting some work done the rest of this week and then having a relaxing weekend together with Patti. Let me give the glory to God because He is my strength and my joy! I couldn't even begin to make it through this stuff without Him. He is also ministering peace and faith in Patti's heart and that is beautiful to see!

Q: Sounds like everything is OK, then?
A: Yep! Things are fine. We are still rejoicing in the little things each day and trying not to look too far ahead or too hard at the past. We are just blessing God every day!

Forever in Him,

Mike

1 comment:

Paige said...

It's like a good love story!!


....And the prince came back to the castle and they lived happily ever after.

The End