Saturday, February 10, 2007

How do you spell relief? M..I..G..R..A..I..N..E!

More accurately, it's J..E..S..U..S!

After visiting with the neurologist late Thursday afternoon, he determined that Patti suffered a migraine headache. I know that after all the scary events (believe me, it was scary) on Sunday, to come up with a migraine as a diagnosis seemed a bit unusual!

First of all, I want to thank the Lord for sustaining us through this time. Knowing Him, holding on to Him and remaining steadfast in His peace allowed us to not give in to fear which, I believe, was the design of the enemy of our souls.

Secondly, deepest, heartfelt thanks to all of the wonderful prayer warriors who cast their love on God's throne on Patti's behalf!

The way the doctor described it, Patti's brain is in a weakened condition from the stroke. No news there! But he also said that a migraine is hard enough on a healthy brain, but when it hit Patti her brain began throwing off stroke symptoms big time! In fact, if you read the earlier blogs, the first doctor to see her was convinced she had suffered a new stroke event. So we were greatly concerned that, after having Patti's heart repaired and months of diligent re-hab, we might be faced with the loss of all of her progress and not even know why! Plus, the first doctor speculated that there might be some kind of condition in the brain that may, or may not, be treatable. So we were also faced with the possibility of more stroke events and greater and greater damage occuring over time. Not a pretty picture!

After looking at the MRI the neurologist stated conclusively that there was no new damage to Patti's brain nor anything that looked even suspicious to him. He gave her a complete release to participate in all of her activities with no restraint!

So to say we are relieved is a massive understatement! Everything about Patti improved when she got the diagnosis! She was really concerned and fearful, but she stood firm in the storm!

One quick humorous story: When we were leaving to go to the hospital on Sunday, I leaned over to Patti, who was in the wheelchair, and said "You know, honey, if you didn't want to watch the Super Bowl all you had to do was just say so!" Actually, at the time, she didn't much appreciate the humor. My timing was off just a little. Anyway, she had been insistent that she did not want to go to the hospital and wasn't real happy about it. So when we left the neurologist's office and headed for the elevator I looked to my right and Patti wasn't there. I turned around and she was standing in the hallway with her hands spread slightly apart and a smile on her face and said "See!! I told you not to take me to the hospital!!" We both laughed and, of course, to get the last word in, I told her "This just confirms my original thought that you just didn't want to watch the game!"

All's well that ends well!

Pressing on in Him,

Mike

No comments: